Spot UV is a clear varnish that is applied to selected areas of your design and then cured under a UV light to achieve a high gloss finish. The result is a slightly embossed, polished texture which can be used to highlight selected elements of your design, such as a logo or an abstract pattern.
If you're supplying Spot UV artwork, we require two separate artwork files. In addition to your standard CMYK artwork, we require an additional file containing only the elements you would like to be Spot UV. To ensure all the elements align perfectly, we recommend the following:
- Create your CMYK artwork as normal and set it as a print ready PDF
- Duplicate the CMYK artwork file and delete any elements you do NOT want to be Spot UV
- Recolour all remaining elements as C:0 M:0 Y:0 K:100, so all your Spot UV elements are 100% black
- Add any additional Spot UV elements you would like to include, again using 100% black
- Save the file, adding 'Spot UV' to the filename
- Supply us with both the CMYK and Spot UV artwork files
For the best results, and to avoid any possible registration issues, don't apply Spot UV to thin lines, small text or finely detailed artwork. Please allow a 3mm margin between the trim edge and any Spot UV elements.